Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

So 2006 ended w/ a pop of a bottle of 1999 Cristal courtsy of work (long story short: I won it). And the verdict? Clean, crisp, beautiful color but maybe it's my palate but not a lot going on. As the kama'aina chocolatier said "It's not big." So worth $260? Only if I'm not buying. Time to move onto the other champagne houses top end stuff.

re: palate It could be something specific about whites. In red's I can taste the berries, fruits, earthy flavors, etc. but in whites the lighter notes can get lost. Like the Pete Mike the enologist brought for the wedding: lemon curd? honey?? melon??? Didn't get any of that "mmm white wine flavor" (disclosure: dinner yesterday was pasta w/ a pesto cream sauce, garlic foccacia, green salad w/ walnuts and vinegrette and a pinot noir and also orange water...but I did allow like 10 minutes before opening the bubbly.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home